Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Place Where Anything Else is Happening


“The nature of death,” my mother said, “is that it lacks a knowledge of good and evil.” She’d thrown my brother’s cat off the bed before I’d woken up. Maybe she planned on me for bludgeoning, too.

“Well?” she asked. I could tell something was different. It had been weeks since she’d mentioned the skin clogging her neck, since she’d tried to burn some misery off her cottage cheese and Smirnoff thighs with her Congolese acupuncturist’s rigid, waspy fingers.

“‘No’ means Jesus. Jesus means type-2 diabetes,” I recited obediently until she let me roll over. 

That was the last time my mother shared her thoughts with me, or anyone else. In the morning she’d run off for good with a pre-bust dot-commer named Alphonse who turned out to be an undercover eurotophobe and a third cousin of the Unabomber. And it would be months before my father immerged from his self-immolated womb of Who’s The Boss? episodes and pity Twinkies from coworkers.

That afternoon, my brother found the cat buried under a very Ellis-esque NO EXIT sign across the street and I don’t want to tell you what it looked like.

No comments: