Monday, January 2, 2012

welcome to the end times


Had a couple reviews come out last month -- J.A. Tyler's "A Shiny, Unused Heart" in The Brooklyn Rail and George Williams' "Gardens of Earthly Delights" in Prick of the Spindle. Both of these guys are in my top 8 books of 2011, so check 'em out, now. Actually, now that I mention it, I should just share my top 8 books of 2011. Why keep you anxiously salivating? And why 8? It was my number in baseball and water polo and I'm too lazy to think of 10. Boom. 

1. Look! Look! Feathers by Mike Young (Word Riot)
2. A Shiny, Unused Heart by J.A. Tyler (Black Coffee Press)
3. The Angel Esmeralda: Nine Stories by Don DeLillo (Scribner)
4. Gardens of Earthly Delight: Stories by George Williams (Raw Dog Screaming Press)
5. The Indefinite State of Imaginary Morals by Rae Bryant (Patasola Press)
6. Us by Michael Kimball (Tyrant Books)
7. The Blue Tower: Poems by Tomaz Salamun (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
8. Animals by Janey Smith (plain wrap press)

Also, I was going to announce to the five people that read this sporadic attempt at bloggery that I would be taking a more or less complete hiatus from posting for the next several months because of my involvement in two top-secret projects. However, one of them, a movie-related thing, has fallen through as those things tend to do. So my list of covert projects has been reduced to one, a kind of online literary monstrosity, a collaboration with novelist John Reed that is so totally sweet that the coolest hipsters are already checking it out before it exists. So needless to say, I will still be posting, probably with alarming frequency. I'm sorry. 2012 is the time to step one's proverbial game up (and to get pumped for Ridley Scott's ancient aliens-influenced Prometheus). Let's do it.

No comments: