Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The baby elephant gagged on it a little




Just finished the first offering of what is sure to be much awesomeness from Plain Wrap Press, Janey Smith’s Animals. This unassuming creature sneaks up with major oh-you-think-this-but-really-uh, like, you wake up at the crack of dusk, casually chilling, when, excuse me, a giant polar bear sidles up on its belly all who’s-the-boss and totally infiltrates the Zen of your nose-picking and self-dithering session. What? Many more pleasant oddities ensue – the plight of the Joey (the infant kangaroo, not Lawrence), a bossy pet pygmy, more baby animals feeling the sting and shirk of that bigger beast, Capitalism – all in a neat 66 mini-pages. Animals’ super-cute, compact and pale packaging (and isn’t that the best kind) almost made me feel bad for putting it down when I was done, as if to say, “Dude, you’re going to ruffle through me, leave my pages all dog-eared and finger-moist, and you’re not even going to spoon with me for an episode of Toddlers & Tiaras?!” One of my friends thought the book would make a nice coaster for his PBR tallboy (damn hipster). Another tried to use it as an effective, if far-from-deadly ninja star. Some of my friends don’t read good. But if you do read, you should do yourself a favor and give this little guy a scratch. It won’t bite too hard.

No comments: